Advocate/ Debt & Finance & Benefits advisor – Full Time Post
Salary £22,000 – 24,000 p.a depending on experience
– To provide a specialist confidential advocacy service for people aged 60+ who live in the Borough of Southend- on- Sea and who are experiencing problems in respect of debt and finance related matters.
– To manage a caseload and keep accurate confidential records within the organisation’s working practices, policies and procedures and to compile reports, as required.
– To liaise with other agencies/professionals as required, including:
- Health and social care professionals
- Safeguarding Officers
- Police Officers
- Medical Professionals
- Bank Managers
- Mortgage providers
- Utility Companies
- Credit Card Companies
- Housing Associations
- Office of Public guardianship
- Court of Protection
- Tribunal Hearings
– To advocate for clients in accordance with the organisation’s quality marks.
– To accompany clients to meetings or attend meetings on their behalf.
– To assist clients to maximize their income and reduce their expenditure, where possible.
– To make appropriate referrals to other agencies, if required, according to Client’s needs/wishes.
– To negotiate with priority creditors to ensure that expenditure on essential items (eg. mortgage/rent, Council Tax, fuel, food, etc.) is safeguarded also to negotiate with non-priority creditors to attempt to bring the client’s debts under control.
– To assist with the completion of various forms including County Court forms (relating to default summonses, applications to vary instalment orders, etc).
– To work with the Administrator/Advocacy Adviser in respect of clerical and recording duties.
– To keep accurate records with regards to Client numbers and to prepare reports for funders.
– To remain updated in respect of current benefit and finance legislation and to access appropriate training.
– To train volunteers to work alongside you, taking over the task of form filling for your client.
– To maintain up to date knowledge of current and relevant legislation and Community Care Policy, to include:
- Mental Health Act 1983
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Health & Social Care Act 2008
- Health & Social Care Act 2014
– To work as part of the Advocacy team and to participate in regular staff meetings.
– To report for supervision and undertake training as required relevant to the post.
– To work under direct management and supervision of the CEO and to undertake such other duties reasonably similar to the above as they shall request.
City and Guilds Level III in Independent Advocacy would be desirable. Or training will be provided and funded.
The successful applicant will need to have access to a car as the role involves “home visits” in the Borough of Southend.
For further information, please contact; Jane Dresner on 01702 340566 or email@example.com
JOB SHARE WOULD BE CONSIDERED