Age Concern Southend-on-Sea (“ACSOS”) wishes to appoint a Centre Manager to oversee the day-to-day operations at The Haven
Reports to: CEO, Age Concern Southend-on-Sea
The Haven Centre Manager (“the Manager”) will play a key role in ensuring the management and smooth running of The Haven Community Hub. An important aspect of the job is to develop the Hub, exploit the facilities available and identify new opportunities by means of effective marketing, networking and innovative solutions. Working closely with the CEO, Trustees and other staff and local statutory, voluntary and commercial sector organisations, the Manager will work to ensure the Haven is a vibrant, well-managed facility that operates for the benefit of local residents and organisations within a sustainable framework.
The Manager will be given a high degree of autonomy and will be self-motivated. The CEO, as line manager, will support and mentor the new Manager to aid her/him in achieving their full potential within the role.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• To manage the Haven in accordance with the parameters of and under the direction set by the Trustees
• To develop and implement procedures for the effective management of the Haven
• To promote the use of the Haven by, amongst other things, maximising publicity opportunities and liaising with the Development Supervisor
• To develop services and facilities in accordance with the aims of the Haven Business Plan
• To develop close working relationships with local partners to seek compatibility of activities and delivery of innovative joint ventures
• To encourage local services and activities to be run from the Haven, for example open days, social events, public meetings and advice services
• To develop the services and facilities of the Haven
• To set appropriate hire charges and terms and conditions of hire in consultation with the CEO
• To ensure the Haven has an up to date User Induction Pack and procedures for using the Hub
• To maintain an overview of the financial position of the Haven, providing reports to the CEO, Trustees and statutory bodies when required
• To liaise with all staff and users to ensure the smooth running of the Haven and its activities.
• To ensure, in conjunction with the caretaker, that the building is suitably maintained through the day to day repairs, maintenance programmes and external service contracts
• To be responsible for health and safety in the building including, in conjunction with the CEO, the review and updating of policies and procedures.
• To develop and implement constructive working relationships with user groups and volunteers so as to enhance the services provided and to deliver improvements to the Haven
• To ensure that services provided by hirers are compatible with the terms of their hire
• To prepare reports for Executive meetings and attend all annual general meetings.
Other Related Duties:
• The post holder will also undertake such additional duties as necessary in relation to the work of the Haven
The Manager will have a strong commitment to helping members of the community get involved with the Haven. The Manager will also need to be self-reliant, energetic, able to work on their own initiative and to prioritise activities.
The continued success of the Haven will depend heavily on the organisational skills of the Manager and their ability to communicate effectively with all members of the community and work alongside colleagues, partners and Trustees.
Skills and Abilities:
• A professional attitude and approach to the management of the Haven
• Excellent communication skills- both written and verbal
• Customer service skills
• Confident, self-motivated, innovative and able to work under pressure
• Good team leadership skills with the ability to develop and support all members of the team
• Able to prioritise work and demands
• Able to work collaboratively
• Understanding of financial budgets
• Able to work flexible hours when required
Education and Training:
• Educated to at least A-level/level 3 or equivalent with a range of relevant qualifications
• Computer literate with a working knowledge of Word and Excel
• Proven experience in either the voluntary/community sector, business, project management or marketing
• A strong commitment to community-based services
• Able to work occasional evenings and weekends and attend the Haven at short notice
• Consent to an enhanced DBS disclosure
• Starting Salary will be £25,000
• Holiday entitlement is 20 days plus Bank Holidays
• There will be a six month probationary period, extendable at the Trustees discretion
• Relevant training will be provided and the Manager will be expected to attend both internal and external training as required
How to apply:
If you would like to apply for this role, please send your CV with a covering letter to:
Lin Boulter, CEO,
AGE Concern Southend on Sea, 134 Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff on Sea, Essex SS0 7LN
Applications for this role close at 5pm – Friday 20 September