Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm (hours are flexible)
Salary circa £21-25k (depending on experience)
1 year fixed-term contract
South Essex Advocacy Services (formerly South East Essex Advocacy for Older People) is a registered charity that supports people who are over 60 and live in the Southend Borough, by providing a free, impartial and confidential advocacy service.
We are looking for an experienced individual to provide one-to-one advocacy.
This role will involve helping clients with a wide variety of issues including, but not limited to: welfare, benefits and housing. You would also help them to understand the decisions that affect their lives, ensuring their views and wishes are heard. You will also explore options available to them, in order to help them make informed decisions for themselves.
The role is mainly office-based, but requires the advocate to visit clients at their homes. Access to a car is therefore, essential.
- Ensure clients are treated fairly and with dignity at all times
- Possess good communication skills to enable you to establish working relationships with clients and statutory/voluntary services
- Have a good local knowledge of the Southend Borough and the services/organisations available
- Empower clients to speak for themselves, or speak on their behalf where necessary
- When necessary, accompany clients to meetings or attend meetings on their behalf
- Make appropriate referrals to other agencies, if required, according to clients’ needs/wishes
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of adult welfare, benefits and statutory developments, which may affect your clients
- Liaise with other agencies as required, including health and social care professionals and the local authority
- Manage a caseload and keep accurate, confidential records within the organisation’s working practices, and data protection policies and procedures
- Compile reports as required
- Work under the direct management and supervision of the CEO, and attend staff meetings
- Report regularly for supervision and undertake training as required relevant to the post
- Organise and attend outreach meetings to raise awareness of the service to groups within the community
Please contact Jane Dresner on 01702 340566, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for further details and an application pack. Application deadline is 18 May 2018.
£21,000 – £25,000 Annual salary
Career level required
GCSE / Scottish or equivalent
Temporary / Contract
Phone: 01702 340566