A child or young person has Special Educational Needs (SEN) if they have a learning difficulty or disability which means that they need extra help.

A child of school age has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

-have greater difficulty in learning than others of the same age

-have a disability which prevents or hinders them from using facilities provided for others of the same age in schools or post 16 education.

A child under school age has SEN:

-if they are likely to come under the above definitions when they reach school age


-would do so if special educational provisions were not made for them

Information about the support and services available to those with SEN is available on the Local Offer website.ÿ This is hosted on the Livewell Southend website.

For queries relating to children and young people with SEN, please first speak to the SENCo at their educational setting. You can also contact the Southend SEND service on 01702 215246 or email at livewell@southend.gov.uk


Location & Contact Details


Department for People

P.O.Box 6 Civic Centre

Victoria Avenue




Opening Times

Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Email Address



01702 215499